The ArtsCenter Gallery is changing its exhibition model in 2012. The center space will now become a collective gallery. The gallery is now accepting applications for January through March 2012.
The ArtsCenter is a vital resource for local art exhibition. Our mission is to support artists by giving them a high quality space to exhibit their work that is readily accessible to our diverse art-loving audience. We are changing our model to offer longer exhibits to more artists.
The ArtsCenter’s Center Gallery space will become a collective gallery representing multiple artists at one time. Instead of month-long exhibitions of one artist’s work, the gallery space will be divided into a series of independent artist’s stores that will rotate on three- or six-month cycles. This will exclude a three-month period from April-June in which The ArtsCenter will use the space for its annual student show, faculty show and photography show. The East End Gallery will remain the same, hosting single exhibitions that rotate on a monthly basis.
Artists function as independent businesses in many ways: through personal websites, direct selling and open studios. Together, we can maximize the success of our exhibition program. Artists will control their own space at The ArtsCenter while still operating under the guidance and support of our established exhibition program. This will allow both artist and venue to receive more visibility, more support and reach a wider network in the art community.
The shift to a collective model has proved to be an effective model for several other art spaces in the Triangle area. The ArtsCenter would like to extend special thanks to John Pelphrey and Kelly Dew at LabourLove Gallery in Durham for their guidance in this endeavor.
• Artists rent the space monthly and are required to commit to a three-month time period at the start of their contract. Artists keep 90 percent of sales from all items. Space may be shared among artists in any way as long as the spatial parameters are established and paid for and adhere to the contract.
•Artist spaces are defined as follows:
Two-Dimensional work—6-foot-by-6-foot area of the gallery wall for $95 per month
Three-Dimensional work—3-foot-by-6-foot table or three shelves at 3 ft long each for $95 per month
Clothing—3 feet of clothing rack space for $45 per month
The ArtsCenter will:
• Provide access to all of our marketing resources, including a link to each artist’s website on our exhibition page through www.artscenterlive.org, inclusion in our printed and virtual marketing materials and a listing on the 2nd Friday ArtWalk maps and website.
• Provide a staff person to process sales during regular box office hours.
• Host a reception on the 2nd Friday of each month from 6 to 9 p.m.
The Artist will:
• Take an active role in promoting the gallery and its events through their existing contacts and social networks.
• Be present or have a representative present for at least two of the three ArtWalk receptions during their rental period.
• There is a $10 application fee for all interested artists. Artists only have to pay this fee once per three-month cycle.
• Each artist must fill out an application for consideration. Please follow the directions on the application carefully. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Laura Ritchie, The ArtsCenter, 300-G East Main Street, Carrboro, NC 27510.
• Upon approval from the Gallery Coordinator, artists will be contacted and are required to fill out our exhibition contract and adhere to all terms specified therein.