Thursday, January 12, 2012

Orange County woman to share $212,554 Cash 5 win with family

Evelyn Perry, a retired social worker from Hillsborough, plans to pay bills and share with her adult children after winning $212,554 playing Carolina Cash 5. Perry won half the jackpot in the New Year’s Eve drawing.
“I was at my neighbor’s house all night watching movies,” Perry said. “I had no idea I had won. The next day when I bought a scratch-off at the store, the clerk asked if I was the Cash 5 winner. When I went home and checked my numbers online, I was just stunned.”
Perry, who won $400 previously on a Powerball ticket, received a check for $144,538 after taxes were withheld. She purchased the winning ticket at The Quickie Mart on S. Churton Street in Hillsborough.
“Keep trying because it really can happen to you,” Perry said as she received her winnings. “Even if you don’t win, you know it’s going to education and it’s not going to waste.”
Since the lottery began through June 30 of this year, Orange County education programs received more than $21.9 million in lottery funds. By law, those funds pay for teachers’ salaries, school construction, need-based college scholarships and prekindergarten programs. Players in Orange County have won more than $33.6 million in prizes since the lottery’s inception.
To date, the N.C. Education Lottery has raised more than $2.1 billion for these initiatives statewide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send us a comment. Just be sure to keep it clean and respectful. And we reserve the right to not publish anonymous comments.