Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mistake in print and next week

Last week, I mindlessly inserted "Cedar Ridge" into a breakout box on track state qualifiers where there should not have been one. This week, trying to finish the paper to run out the door to a town budget meeting (I was the audience; who's jealous?), I made some page edits that actually cut off one line of a photo caption and kept an incorrect spelling. The story? It was about track.

I have nothing against the track programs, however consecutive sloppy edits might make it look so. Please consider this a mea culpa.

This week
Now that the Web site is up (mostly, because we can't get the PDF to change over), it's officially next week, in which last week's positives and negatives are pretty much a moot point. Here's some things I know of so far:

• The residents in the Colonial Park Water Association will be able to have connections to town water subsidized. Last fall, we reported on well contaminations in the community, and I'll have a follow-up next week.

• The public hearing on the town budget is at 7 p.m. Thursday, and I'll have a story next week with budget facts and figures. There are some gems in the 400-page document, but I'll try not to bore you too much. Once I can confirm this, I'll let you know about the town paying copyright fees for music it doesn't actually use (board members actually brought this up Tuesday night).
UPDATE: The town has budgeted $625 for copyright contracts with ASCAP and BMI fees, something town staff said many towns in the state are advised to do to prevent a lawsuit. This covers any songs played at town events, in town offices or over the phones when people are holding on town services. What songs would you like to hear playing, if the town is already paying for them?

• I'll be taking pictures at Last Friday, and hopefully we'll be able to publish contest winners and goings-on in next week's edition. Our papers (at least my copy) are a little darker than I would have hoped they'd be.

There will be more ... Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send us a comment. Just be sure to keep it clean and respectful. And we reserve the right to not publish anonymous comments.